Proposition 64 continues to dominate the electoral arena. The initiative has led to bitter divisions within the cannabis community and within our membership. In addition to Prop 64, we are also monitoring several local ballot measures and candidates for elected offices.
Policy position options:
- Support Prop. 64
- Support with concerns
- Neutral with concerns (Current position)
- Support adult use, oppose Prop. 64
- Oppose Prop. 64
Local Ballot Measures
We will be launching a website for our Political Action Committee, the Coalition for Responsible Permitting by September 15. This PAC is focused on raising public awareness about regulation and supporting efforts to establish a permitting program at the local level in every county, city, reservation and Rancheria throughout the state. This PAC is focused on volunteer efforts to support local campaigns as well as providing financial support.
Our highest priority campaigns in the upcoming election are:
- Measure AF, Measure AJ and Measure AI in Mendocino County
- Measure C and Measure D in Calaveras County
- Humboldt County Tax Measure
- Measure L in Butte County
We expect to spend significant time over the remainder of the year focused on these local ballot measures. We will need volunteers for phone banking and will consider direct mail where appropriate. There are also early stage ballot measures being developed in Trinity County as well as Los Angeles City that we are monitoring.
We have supported several candidates for elected office, including:
- Scott Weiner, San Francisco Supervisor, candidate for state senate
- Fiona Ma, Chair Board of Equalization, Candidate for State Treasurer, 2018
- Devon Mathis, State Assembly Member, Candidate for State Assembly 2016
- Rob Bonta, State Assembly, Candidate for State Assembly 2016
- Susan Bonilla, State Assembly, Candidate for Insurance Commissioner 2016
- Ricardo Lara, State Senate, Candidate for State Senate 2016